Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Peanut Brittle..Old-Fashioned Way

NOTE: Read recipe through before making the brittle....
Butter to grease a cooky sheet....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 1/3 cups sugar
6 1/2 ounces spanish peanuts or cocktail peanuts
Before you start, butter the cooky sheet very thoroughly....
Cook the sugar in a frying pan, over low heat...until it has melted and turned a light brown. Stir in the peanuts, then pour onto the buttered cooky sheet.
Now immediately start stretching the candy by pressing it out with the backs of two spoons. Don't touch it with your hands as it will be very very hot!!!!!!
Keep this up, working quickly, until the brittle is no more than 1 peanut deep.
When the candy is completely cool, break it into pieces.
Keep in an airtight tin
**
Other Nut Brittles
Substitute whatever nuts you want for the peanuts in the peanut brittle above. Salted nuts makes the best brittles and cashews are particularly good for this purpose..

4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this.
    It sounds so simple , but I am sure
    you have to work very fast when spreading the candy at the end. Always looking for some quick candies for gift boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a favorite Christmas candy here but I've never attempted to make my Great Aunt's recipe....

    Blessin's♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back many memories. I used to make peanut brittle with my Mom. Thanks for the recipe.
    ~Carlotta~

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother used to make peanut brittle. It was delicious. This recipe looks good. Makes me want to make some. I make almond brittle although I haven't made any for quite a while.
    Have a great day.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

I do so enjoy each and every message that is left for me. They sorta make each day a "happy dance day", so please, make sure you leave a comment..Just a hi will make my day all better. :) xx